Sunday, February 15, 2009

THEY ARE LOST

So if you were a follower of my old blog you are aware of my attempts at recapping Lost (amongst other tv). I eventually gave up because watching and rewatching those episodes got to be a little much. The series had all but completely fallen apart.

But I need closure, because that's the kind of guy I am. And instead of ditching the show, I just found a new way to make it fun: Lost Night at a local bar, Professor Thom's!


The upstairs bar is fully stocked, carrying Harpoon IPA and Magic Hat on tap, offering a rum based tropical cocktail special for lost, and a wide array of bar food, from mozzarella sticks, hot wings, to deep fried mac and cheese. They have several high def screens, plenty of chairs, and a few couches for those lucky few who come super early. But yeah, if you want to snag a seat for you and your buds, come early (no one begrudges the coat or bag seat saver). Everyone gets super into the show, cheering and laughing or gasping in shock. It really just heightens the experience, the whole group mentality, you know? But we're all respectful of the show too, when it comes back from commercial, we're all instantly silenced without argument or hesitation.

The bar graciously offers free jello shots every time a specific thing happens on screen, two of which on each night's list but constantly being changed up. But no one knows ahead of time, so sometimes it works out for the bar (Ben gets punched/slapped in the face) or sometimes the patrons (the losties "flash" and change time periods [I did a ridiculous 8 jello shots then]). It's a lot of fun.

Because we got there early for nice seats, and because it was Mad and I, we were hungry. So we used this opportunity to enjoy our weekly burger adventure (side note, because of fiscal reasons, certain funds have been diverted to a new project (don't worry, it adds a new layer to be written about here), so 'TNBC' may become biweekly). We each ordered the 'Hurley Burger', mine with cheddar and guacamole (Hurley would totally be into cheddar and guac on his burger). It was really good for a bar burger. And I loved the fries, seasoned waffle cut. It was pretty fuckin' awesome actually. The only mis-step on my part was ordering a Tommy Bahama tropical rum juice thing. Too strong and sweet for the burger. Magic Hat would've been better. But god those fries were good. And the guac was rich and spicy. So if you have a free Wednesday night, come on over to Prof Thom's, grab some dinner and enjoy Lost with a group of your New York peers.

As a second note, the next week, a group of us got the Prof Thom's Nachos, a favorite of ours. A huge platter of tortilla chips covered in melty cheese, sour cream, guac, salsa, jalapenos, and more is an easily splittable treat for a group of 3 or 4, only for like 8 bucks. It's a good deal and is great bar food. A little awkward to hold in your folding chair with the crowds moving but totally worth it.

A few years ago, I never would've thought I would be into bar culture. But I'm actually really getting into it. I mean, I always knew I loved crappy greasy food but I didn't think I would enjoy the company (and noise) of strangers with my friends too. Go figure.

And because we're talking about lost, here are some sweet vids. I know it doesn't really have to do with food, per se, but I don't want to write the same post on two blogs.








No comments: