Monday, February 16, 2009

Apple of my Pie

So this weekend, trying to put off doing real work, I thought about making a pie. Especially since I felt I flubbed my attempt at baked apples last week.


Except because it was procrastination, I didn't want to go through the motions of making a real pie crust (which I take way too seriously).

So I opted to make a graham cracker crust. And a crumble or streusel topping. So really it was basically just a crumble baked in a circular pan. Whatever.

2 cups graham crackers (about 8-10 of those sheets)
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup sugar

Crush crackers into a crumbly dust (I put them in a bag and then roll them with a rolling pin).
mix the butter and sugar in
form a 'crust' around the edge of a pie pan

4 medium apples, peeled, cored and diced
1/4 cup sugar

toss to combine the apples and sugar, then drain in a colander over a bowl
(let sit for about an hour or two) also save that liquid.

place the apples neatly in a fan pattern in the pan


1/4 cup oats
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup butter chilled
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger

mix all ingredients except butter. Rub in pats of butter until it's clumpy and loose.
Take the apple syrup and pour over the pie, then top with aforementioned butter/oat mixture.

Bake at 350 for 40 minutes, then let cool for at least an hour.

It's not complicated or sophisticated, but it's sweet.

1 comment:

Madelyn said...

the baked apples were good!