Saturday, February 14, 2009

I don't go into your house and steal your Hello Kitty backpack.

So it was my birthday (the big 22) and I wanted to celebrate it right. The party bar had been set pretty high this past year with two great parties for two great roommates (All You Can Eat Hot Wings, Ribs, and Beer for this guy) (and laser tag adventures for this gal). So I had to take it to the next level. And then inspiration struck. What do we all love? The Office! And what was the best episode? A Benihana Christmas!




So the game plan was to go gather all of my friends for dinner at Benihana's and then go out to a private karaoke room afterwards!

The great thing about Benihana's is that it is both dinner and a show. Aside from the awesome onion volcano, there was shrimp tails a flying, some usuba (not nakiri) knife action, and plenty of fun food sights.

I had the Teriyaki steak (a little white wash, I know, but look where we were) and while the steak was a little closer to well done than medium rare, it was good. The sauce was thick and sweet, and made my friend Tim jealous enough to keep stealing it.

In general the food was hot and filling, but ultimately forgettable. I was there for a full sensory experience with friends, I wasn't expecting a gastronomical festival. It served its job beautifully.

The karaoke place, somewhere in K-town, was very nice. We had a large room accommodating of all 14 of us and it was BYOB, which meant we could totally save money and still get hammered. Though I warned people we didn't know liquor stores in the area (indeed there weren't really any) we went ahead with many cans and bottles of beer. And shots of shochu. We had a good time. There was Rihanna, Avril Lavigne, Journey, Kansas, Third Eye Blind, Jimmy Eat World, and of course to round out the night, Closing Time by Semisonic.

All in all, a very good night. You'd be lucky to have friends half as good as these guys.


No comments: