Saturday, February 14, 2009

Superbowl Sunday

So what do you on the biggest sports event of the year? Drink a bunch of beer, eat hot wings, and of course chips and dip.

For the classic super bowl food, we relied on our platter dealer of choice, Atomic Wings, which you may remember from the Secret Santa Party. So nothing new to report there.

But I did decide to make a mexican layered bean dip. I would call it a 7 layer dip...but really there were only 6. I made two trays, both were cleaned out phenomenally quickly. Good thing I staggered them. Anyways, here's my recipe, pieced together from memories of dips past and from wandering the grocery store slash cleaning the fridge.
32oz Refried Beans
20oz Sour Cream
24oz Guacamole
16oz Salsa
16oz Shredded Cheese (Kraft Mexican blend)
1 pack taco seasoning
1 Green bell pepper
(I would've added scallion and olive...but I didn't buy them)

Anyways, in an oven safe casserole dish, spread out the refried beans, mix in the taco seasoning (half).
Layer on the sour cream.
Then the guac.
now the salsa.
Drop in some diced bell pepper.
Top with cheese and some more taco seasoning.
Bake in a 300degree oven for 30-45 minutes, until warm and melty.
Dig in with tortilla chips or a spoon.
Splash with hot sauce if you want.
It's not hard but it is delicious, if not sophisticated.

No comments: