Monday, March 9, 2009

Why the kitchen is the heart of the home

So today, on a whim I decided to make family dinner for the roomies. And I had a good time. I think we should do it more often.


It all started out with Julia buying some buttermilk to make cupcakes last week (and I helped!), based on both Magnolia recipes and food photography from Hello Naomi.

Anyways, the buttermilk sitting in our fridge was just begging to be used so after a productive day (laundry, midterm paper writing, psych studying, people watching) I thought it'd be nice to bake some biscuits. My roommates and I fucking love biscuits. As I started to make them though, I thought what would go well with these and just decided what the hell, let's make a whole meal of it.

Lemon Chicken
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/3 cup olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
2 tablespoons brown sugar

Mix these, pour into ziplock gallon bag
Add chicken breasts, let marinate in fridge. Sear in pan, finish in oven.


StoveTop stuffing.
Follow box directions. Eat.

Haricot Vert
Trim beans, cook in boiling water for 5 minutes, rinse in cool water.
Saute two cloves garlic, minced, in butter. Toss in beans. Add a splash of lemon juice, salt, and pepper.

Biscuits
2 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
Sift together
Freeze 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) of unsalted butter, grate with a cheese grater. Work into flour(pea sized lumps). Add 1 tablespoon shortening. Put in freezer.

1 cup buttermilk
1 Tablespoon yogurt
1 egg
whisk together then pour over flour.

Dough will be sticky and messy; be careful, work as little as possible. 'Cut' out rounds and bake in 450 for 15-18 minutes.

Wine
pour into glass. Drink.

Nilla Wafers
Open box, enjoy with TV.


All in all, a delicious affair.

1 comment:

Madelyn said...

you made biscuits without me???