Monday, March 2, 2009

The Brunch Club

Like the breakfast club except we're not in high school. And actually we're eating brunch.

Anyways, my friends and I went to 7A for brunch on Sunday and from there good times were had and an idea was born.


I've said french fries were my favorite food (with cheeseburgers for the perfect meal) but brunch epitomizes everything I love about food: lazy weekend mornings that bleed into the afternoon, the company of good friends, a sparkling mimosa, a bottomless cup of hot coffee, and a plate of delicious food that's as flexible about the time as you are. We happily sat next to the windows, watching the snow fall again on the city streets while we were toasty warm inside. It's moments like these that are perfect. And you don't have a care in the world.

On the advice of our waiter (personally, I thought our service was pretty amazing, given how crowded the place was...our cups were never empty and when Alex asked Kyle if we had any hot sauce on the table, he brought it out without needing to be flagged down), I ordered the Huevos Rancheros, with my eggs over easy. Let me say I was not disappointed. The pico de gallo had an excellent flavor, a mild heat, and added a bright color. The mexican cheese lent a subtle creamy sweetness that could not be overlooked. And the eggs poured out a delicious river of golden goodness all over my plate. Sometimes I miss the slightly more 'authentic' mexican cuisine of the southern coast, but this was damn good.

Sometimes all it takes is the right mood and the right people to make the meal just right. And you don't brunch unhappy. And you shouldn't brunch alone.

I look forward to many more lazy sunday afternoons digging into a Belgian waffle and taking long drags off a cup of coffee idly chatting about the best things in life.



“It’s not quite breakfast, it’s not quite lunch, but it comes with a slice of cantaloupe at the end. You don’t get completely what you would at breakfast, but you get a good meal.”
-- Jacques of The Simpsons

No comments: