Monday, March 23, 2009

A Meal fit for a Limey

Spring Break has come to a close but as my friends came back home to roost, we went out for one last good night. Being the exact audience that I Love You, Man was catering to, we were excited to see it and of course made it a point to see it opening weekend. But inevitably, we were also hungry. So we pushed back to a later showing and decided to grab some dinner.


Because there was no real driving idea for what to eat, I suggested Waterfront Ale House because it was close to the theater, I love bar food, and I love a good draft beer. With no objections, we took a stroll up the street and get a table.

If you know me, you know my appetite is very impressionable. So for some reason a few days ago, I wanted the British culinary icon Fish and Chips. And so when I made that mention out loud, Madelyn, ever the best gastro-friend (my favorite eating partner, "We should look for someone to eat and drink with before looking for something to eat and drink." - Epicurus) I've had (despite, strangely, all of her food hang ups), immediately jumped on the bandwagon with me. What a pal.

First and foremost, Waterfront treats their waiting patrons to never ending bowls of popcorn. This generous offering tempts the broke college student to bring a ziploc, fill it up, then continue on their way to the theater. Maybe next time we'll have the foresight to bring a bag. Either way, it's a good filler as I downed my Brooklyn Lager. Points for the consideration Waterfront.

When we walked in, we saw someone's burger and I was almost swayed (I am notorious about suffering from orderer's remorse) by it but mostly got excited when I saw their fries were of the waffle cut variety, one of my faves! God I want some right now...did I mention I am easily influenced in what I want to eat? Anyways, I was ALMOST swayed, but held my ground.

And I was glad I did. Though a tad pricey, they served up a HUGE ale battered, fried fish fillet. Obviously it was a nice whitefish, and though I didn't inquire, my guess based on texture would be cod (though I wouldn't be surprised if it were haddock). It was tender on the inside and crisp on the outside, without being greasy. A generous dousing in some malt vinegar completed the picture. Though I am not a fan of tarter sauce, I gave it a try (because sometimes tastes change) and reaffirmed my dislike for the white sauce. It was so good, but also a bit heavy. Though I was starved, after about 2/3rds of the way through, I was stuffed and struggled to try and finish it (and fail). Thankfully, Mad also failed, lest I hear the end of it from her. I guess we have a sort of eating rivalry...that she always wins. I just try not to embarrass myself. One last note: it was served piping HOT. Mad and I both took a bite and were immediately put in the position of trying not to burn our mouths. So you know the kitchen didn't let it sit around.

And speaking of hot, the Waterfront sports their own bottled hot sauce. And it is potent, to the point of being uncomfortable. Unlike many hot sauces that I've had, which I describe as a slow and building burn that hits you after you think it's past, this stuff is up front and in your face about it's heat. The second it touches your tongue, you know. No one at the table could take it. And I was a member of my high school Hot Sauce Club. I've had worse, sure, but why make yourself miserable? Because you think you're a man? Ketchup for the chips, lemon for the fish; it's all good.

I was a bit jealous of Julia's Texas Dip. Thick cuts of brisket served on a baguette with a tangy barbeque sauce to dip in did look amazing. And since I had a taste of those pulled pork sliders in Boston more bbq in my diet has been creeping into the queue (looks like Brother Jimmy's may come soon again.) Anyways, I didn't get a chance to try it so I am assuming it was amazing.

All in all, Waterfront is a promising bar that I wouldn't mind visiting on occasion. While, in general, the clientele was slightly older than I would've liked, the atmosphere was high spirited. The music was not too loud (as some of my other roommates often complain of places), the kitchen makes some serious eats, and the bar stocks a number of good taps. A little pricy, sure but you certainly get what you pay for.

No comments: