Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Tuesday Night Burger Club

The other weekend, my friend Madelyn was hungry and wanted burgers, except that it was Halloween so all we ate was candy and booze. By Tuesday, she still had not filled her craving and left me a text while I was in class. From there, Tuesday Night Burger Club was born.


Our first official meeting convened at the ever classic Shake Shack. Since it was November 4th (I voted absentee), there was no line despite nice weather. My roommate and friend Julia joined us and we enjoyed Danny Meyer's best idea since opening a restaurant. Otherwise, it was pretty uneventful.

This past weekend, it also happened to be Julia's birthday. As we are all huge How I Met Your Mother fans, we went all the way out to Brooklyn for laser tag. It was amazing.


Anyways, Madelyn and I got a huge craving for onion rings (there's a quote from the show) and thus put next on TNBC's agenda some delicious onion rings with our meal. After some preliminary research I had a good idea for a few places to go.

We settled on SOHO Park, a charming little place with a simple menu. It came highly recommended, and the title alone, Herbed Buttermilk Red Onion Rings, made my mouth water. Though we were starving, I clearly remembered reading "this is the second time I’ve just had these onion rings as my dinner" and we decided to split one order with our burgers. Best idea ever, because even with the three of us devouring the flavorful goodness, we couldn't quite finish the last of the massive pile.

The burgers themselves were also delicious. A perfectly portioned patty in one of the best potato bread rolls, complete with the thinnest shredded lettuce, tomatoes, sweet pickles, and sauce. Though I am typically not a fan of pickles on my food, these accented all of the flavors with a delicate sweet and tangy flavor that was not as overwhelming as I am usually wont to find. I was quite pleased. The cheese was not amazing and at an extra dollar, if you can live without it go ahead (I, unfortunately, LOVE cheese on my burger and cannot).

Finally, though they had only one dessert on the menu, it's all they needed: a classic brownie sundae topped with your choice of ice cream. Presented with a chocolate ganache, a cherry, and a sprig of mint, this was the type of presentation I was always taught and could never master. Wish I had a picture to share. I'll try to start bringing a camera to these meetings.

So if you're in the east village and jonesing for some quality onion rings and a nice burger to keep them company, you could do worse than SOHO Park. Just bring a friend or two so not a morsel goes unsavored.

Have a place to recommend? Leave a comment! I am always up for a culinary adventure!

No comments: