Sunday, November 9, 2008

City Favorites

While I love branching out and exploring new places, sometimes you just have to go to your old standby for the perfect fix. I make no claims that my tastes are anything new, 'indie', or otherwise noteworthy; they're just where I like to go, simple as that.

Burgers:
Shake Shack -- Madison Sq. Park.
Yes, everyone already knows about it. Yes, it's always packed. There's a reason, it's some damn good food.

Pizza:
Artichoke -- 14th St. between 1st and 2nd ave
Yes, everyone already knows about it. Yes, it's always packed. There's a reason, it's some damn good food.

Mexican:
El Cantinero -- University between 11th and 12th
No, it's not the best. But it's my favorite. The cheesy atmosphere, the bar upstairs, the garden, the all you can eat monday special. The college memories. No it's not for everyone, but if you want something a little better than chipotle (though, I'll be honest; I'm a sucker for chipotle too) have a margarita and some sizzling fajitas. Bring a few friends and tell the waiter it's someone's birthday...it's worth it to watch them wear the goofy sombrero.

Diner:
Cosmos Diner -- 2nd Ave at 23rd St.
Their pies need a little work but this place was the center for my reborn interest in diner fare this past year; like an episode of Seinfeld, we sat in our booth, ordered some food and talked the triviality of our days away. While kinda gruff, we totally became BFFs with the staff.

Chinese:
Yummy House -- 3rd Ave between 11th and 12th
I lived across this place for a year when I first moved here. Every weekend my roommates and I ordered take out from here and we've been fans ever since. A little nicer than some of the hole in the wall places found around the city, the you feel that they really are trying to be a restaurant and not a take out food service. And though I am 'Asian', I'm a huge sucker for the American-Chinese fare: Orange Chicken, Mongolian Beef, Lo Mein, Egg Rolls, etc.

So no, these are not the best places for food in New York City. But they are damn good, hold some precious memories associated with them, and won't break the bank. Here's to hoping I keep this project alive for a year and get to update this list with new places.

No comments: