Friday, November 14, 2008

Eating with knitting needles

"We should look for someone to eat and drink with before looking for something to eat and drink, for dining alone is leading the life of a lion or wolf." -- Epicurus

Sometimes when life kicks you down, there are worse decisions than picking yourself up and walking away toward a pile of grease, salt, msg, and company.

Tonight, some people came over (Madelyn and my old roommate Yeison).


As soon as Madelyn came in, she said "I should have eaten something before I left!" I responded with "I knew you were gonna say that." Because she always does. The point I am trying to make is that I refrained from starting dinner because I knew she was coming over. Instead, I waited until she arrived and then we all ordered Chinese food, from my go-to place: Yummy House. While I have had food that has been better or cheaper, no place balances the two so well and to top it off, no place is quite as quick at delivery. Plus, I think I just have a soft spot for the place, since it was weekly ritual for me and my roommates during freshman year, as I may have mentioned.

I think the real importance here, as the quote mentions, that Madelyn brought up food and I had her in mind beforehand, so that we could all eat together. Food, especially dining out or ordering in, is not so much about the necessity to eat, but about sharing an experience, joy even. It's just something better that's done in good company. It can bring people together. Tuesday Night Burger Club, for example. And lately it's just nice to know, sometimes, that you've still got friends. What do they say? "No man is an island."?

Yes, while dining alone has other certain qualities that I enjoy (that'll be another post, I'm sure), it's not something I do often. And it's not something I often lseek out. At the very least, you should have someone nearby for the Heimlich maneuver.

Because of it being Madelyn's favorite, we shared an order of sesame chicken, joined with an order of beef lo mein, pan fried pork dumplings, and of course white rice. I am convinced that every chinese place in the city uses the same fried chicken pieces and sauce for all of their main dishes: sesame chicken, General Tso's chicken, and orange chicken. Sure there are minute flavor differences but it hardly makes a difference (which is why it's always kind of a headache because each of my roommates 'loves' only one of the three...plus no one ever wants to exclude it in favor of branching out and trying, say, the Mongolian Beef, the Kung Pao, or Sizzling Noodle Platter (my personal favorite, I mean food that makes noise is doubly delicious (see fajitas))). But, as always, Yummy House lived up to their name and served some yummy, greasy, sweet, fried chicken bits. If you like this kind of food, you'll love it, otherwise you won't.

The lo mein was good too, in that generic "this is what I was expecting and didn't disappoint" way. And even though it was beef, and not veggie, it was pretty light on all of those vegetables I have come to know and love: snap peas, scallion, bamboo. Save for a scant few shreds of carrot and a bean sprout or two, it was mostly noodle. At least there were no mushrooms (not a big mushroom fan, sorry folks). Another thing, lo mein, because it's mostly just delicious noodles, is probably the best bang for your buck as far as food goes. A heaping tray full is like $6.50 at most places in NYC (I know the city is expensive, I've gotten used to it) and when three people have each taken a large serving and the container looks like you could slap the lid back on and call it full, you know you've got a lot of food. I'm always a little excited to have reheated lo mein lunch day after. So if you have a lot of people to feed, lo mein is the way to stretch the side dishes.

The pan fried pork dumplings were nothing to write home about (for great dumplings, it's usually better to rely on actual dumpling houses...since you know, it's their specialty), the dough a little thick and tough and the dipping sauce, trying to be fancy and just coming out watery. I ate them anyways though. Of course.

And what ever happened to those old 80s stand up jokes? Eat chinese food and be hungry 30 minutes later. I ate dinner about 5 hours ago and still feel like a beached whale.

After tax and tip, this 30 dollar delivery could have easily covered 4 people, which is not a bad deal for not having to go outside. And, all in all, not a bad way to spend a Friday night, with some familiar faces. Beats the snot out of frozen pizza for one.

No comments: