Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Just What are We Buying Into?

I am not nutritionist. This is not a blog about health, dieting, or nutrition. I often eat like I am still in college. Or may never see food again. Yes, sometimes I just get hungry looking at This is Why You're Fat.

But this article has sparked numerous responses from the world at large.

And then I found this.


So after fads of monitoring fats, meats, carbs, anything in our diet, are just being cognizant of calories helping? I'll throw my hat in the ring and say that yes, we are moving toward a more responsible dietary standard.

I don't know this from personal experience, because in my youthful hedonism I completely ignore those listings.

Let me rephrase. That's not, technically, true. Since even before they were printed right on that fast food menu staring you down, there were stacks of cards, usually by the bathroom or some out of the way place and I would scan them. I once tried, in junior high, to construct the most unhealthy possible single meal at a Carl's Junior.

But times have changed. We are entering an age of ever increasing understanding of how food affects us, and especially an age of information, traveling faster and further than ever before. And the ever present reminder of the obesity epidemic.

The combination of these things will, naturally result in a cultural shift in eating habits. Of this I am sure. How it will play out, I am not.

No comments: