Sunday, July 19, 2009

Taste tripping party

I know I have been slacking lately in my blogging duties, and all two of you readers have been missing out. It's no excuse, but I've been recently hired and been working for the NYU School of Medicine as a cardiothoracic surgeon. Just kidding, I'm a cardiothoracic research technician. It's less exciting than it sounds but it's good to know I have a job.

So I've been griping about waking up early and commuting and then just lazing about when not in actual work. But the other night I was invited by my good friend Madelyn a birthday party for her co-worker Betty, a sweet gal who has joined us before on a TNBC adventure or two. And one exciting thing? The theme of the party was a taste tripping food sampling!

So this fruit, the miracle berry, has the bizarre property of turning sour and acidic fruits to the sweetest taste experience. Though the science behind it is still less than perfectly understood, it has seen a recent revival since its introduction in the 70s. Through the power of the internet, freeze dried tablet forms of the berries can be ordered and delivered right to your door, so you can host your own party!

The pill itself is reddish pink and readily dissolves on your tongue. Make sure it coats as much of your taste buds as possible to ensure the best effects. After it's completely melted away, dig in and prepare for a crazy taste experience!

I started with a lime wedge. And let me tell you, miracle fruits make citrus AMAZING. It tasted like those sugar coated candies, except juicy and refreshing as well.

I had a sugar free goat cheese frosted cupcake and it tasted like cream cheese on shortbread.

Licorice vines became strangely tolerable.

Pickles were sweet, vibrant, and alltogether enjoyable.

Salt and Vinegar chips were puzzling. Not sure how to quite describe them. The salt was there...the vinegar wasn't...but it wasn't like a potato chips.

Guinness openned with a creamy note, broke upon the palette, and finished with chocolatey notes on the aftertaste. Kinda like an egg cream maybe.

Guacamole also took on a sweet flavor, but combined with it's creamy texture, it was reminiscent of ice cream or something. It was awesome. and confusing.

Another note, miracle fruit does not alter spicy flavors, so the onions in the dip and the jalapeno chips married their heat with a sugary sweetness, kinda like general tso's chicken except....not.

And be careful, the miracle fruit has the ability to completely nullify even the cheapest tasting of vodka, turning a vodka cranberry into fruit punch.

This was an amazing event and I am glad I had the chance to experience it. Having your perceptions of taste completely blown is something that mere words cannot adequately describe. Do yourself a favor and order some for yourself and friends and have your own taste tripping party. Believe me when I say it'll be worth it.

2 comments:

JoceLo said...

this really is one amazing berry! Did you have the actual fruit or Miracle Frooties (miracle fruit tabs)? As I heard they both seem to do the trick!

JoceLo said...

sorry, must have missed it the first time, you did have the tabs... Excellent, and you can store them for something like 12 months (3-4 days for the actual fruit).