Sunday, July 26, 2009

A Bar of One's Own

Last night was a belated housewarming party of sorts for us here out in Crown Heights and I would venture to say that it was a successful event. We had a little pre party dinner, with dinner from Udom Thai, a thai delivery place I found using teh intarwebz. But that was really just a footnote (alongside deliveries of A Slice of Brooklyn and Dominoes).

The real gem of mention is Tavern on Nostrand, a bar around the corner from our little apartment. We stopped in on this place the morning (or afternoon) after, for a quaint little brunch.

I cannot help but feel that our delivery thai suffered from food not designed to travel that far from the restaurant. I had the Udom Basil Chicken and while it was fine, it came in a plastic container drowned in its own juices. Steaming and slightly limping. It did pack a reasonable spice and the prices were fair. The spring rolls did stay crisp which was clutch, and the sweet spicy dipping glaze they were packaged with was a pleasant treat. It is my opinion that I should probably visit, sit down, and dine in the actual restaurant to make a more informed opinion of the food overall. In retrospect, I also wish I had ordered a noodle dish (just because noodles are awesome).

But really why I wanted to write was because of Tavern on Nostrand. Having just moved from PCV, being near several Irish and Sports Bars (my favorites, obviously being MJ Armstrong's and Prof. Thom's) I was glad to see a bar nearby.

After talking about visiting it for several days, we finally made plans to visit it after the party and Kyle, Evan, Melanie, and I had a throughly enjoyable experience.

The dining area was surprisingly well set up, linen tableclothes and napkins, fresh salt and pepper grinders, and a quaint menu. I had a 3 egg omelet with tomatoes, onions, and cheddar, with bacon, home fries, toast, and a mimosa. A nice midday brunch, indeed. The waitress was kind, if a bit overworked (nearly forgot Evan's bacon), and even the owner introduced himself. He seems like a guy who likes running a bar. Anyways, they both made sure that we had everything we needed, from hot sauce to more coffee. They really wanted to promote a loyal clientele, and showed us a dinner menu and talked of the night's specials. And truly, it seemed like a place where I would feel welcome coming back to on a regular basis.

Indeed, I am excited to drink beers and eat burgers only just around the corner from my apartment. Crown Heights, in my opinion, just got a touch brighter.

No comments: