Tuesday, May 26, 2009

"Put Some South in Yo' Mouth"

I like meat. Ever since I was a kid, I have always been a steak and potatoes kind of guy. I have fond memories of eating at Woody's back home, they used to run an all you can eat ribs special and I remember wearing that bracelet proudly. Which explains why I am always game for Brother Jimmy's Monday night special: All You Can Eat Hot Wings, Rib Tips, and Bud Light.


While I am not from the South, nor claim to be well versed in Southern culture, I still enjoy delicious BBQ (not to be confused with Dallas BBQ). And while Brother Jimmy's may seem a little tacky, I still kinda like drinking out of mason jars. Baseball on a few screens around the room was also nice.

Was there ever a pair better suited together than beer and hot wings? They are the Bill and Ted of the gastronomic world, an excellent adventure. Throw in some ribs and it's like George Carlin telling them they are gonna save music. And Brother Jimmy's has only improved their hot wings since the last time I've been there, which is quite impressive. I'm not sure why, but I have really been coming around to Blue Cheese with wings. And the rib tips were well executed as per usual, fall off the bone tender. I recommend the Honey Mustard sauce or possibly the Chipotle, but all are pretty good. Well, except the Carolina. Trying for a vinegar based sauce, it just comes out watery and bland. Disappointing. But all in all, it's a pretty balanced meal: You have carbs (beer), protein (beef and chicken), and fats (blue cheese and buffalo sauce). Gotta have all of the food groups represented.

This time out, I do feel a little bad that I couldn't quite eat as much as I hoped. We didn't even quite clear 4 platters of food (between 5 of us) but at least we made it to the bottom of 6 pitchers. So that's something. And then there's always next Monday.

But it's night like these that make you realize just how good it is to eat with friends. You feel a little sick but know it's worth every little bit. Wouldn't trade moments like these for the world.

No comments: