Sunday, April 12, 2009

Family Dinner part deux

It's been a few weeks, but I might as well post the dinner menu that I made. A butterflied and Broiled whole chicken, garlic mashed potatoes, and cornbread. A simple, comfort food dinner.


The corn bread was nothing special, from an instant mix I picked up at Trader Joe's. It was still delicious, and probably my favorite part of the meal.

The potatoes (for 4) were peeled and cubed and brought to a boil in a cold, salted pot of water.
While they cooked, a cup of milk, 2 tablespoons of butter, and 3 cloves of garlic (crushed) were set to warm over a low heat.
About 30 minutes later, the cubes were easily pierced with a knife. The potatoes were drained, and returned to the pot to evaporate off excess water. The dairy mixture was strained and slowly added to the potatoes as I mashed them. I probably used about 2/3 of the liquid. I also threw in some grated cheddar for full effect.

The chicken was prepared in the same way as I learned from this episode of Good Eats.




Though cooking time proved to be a lot longer than I expected (and still came out a little wrong). So I obviously need to practice more, and maybe adjust my racks.
I also thickened the jus with a white roux to give it a little more body.

A little wine and ice cream sandwiches capped off the night. A solid B performance, good participation with a lack of attention to detail.

No comments: