Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Allez Cuisine

So every year, NYU has been hosting 'Master Chef: NYU' (originally under the title Iron Chef NYU). And every year, I never seem to get my act together. I missed the deadline this year.

I suppose it's better than being rejected like last year (though I did serve as a judge). I guess I was never the most 'health conscious' cook (this is run by the Student Health Center). Plus the limited ingredient list hindered what I wanted to do.

Anyways, this is an altered breakfast menu based on what I came up with last year:
12 large eggs
1 cup milk
2 Hass avocados, diced, mashed, seasoned
1 cup shredded cheese (I recommend a blend of sharp cheddar, Monterrey Jack, and asiago)
1 cup sour cream
1 cup salsa (prepared fresh or from your favorite shop)
1/2 cup bell pepper, diced, mixed color (cooked)
1/2 cup onion, diced (cooked)
Olive Oil
Salt

1. Heat a non stick pan (preferrably in a salamander) with a tablespoon of oil while you whisk together the milk and eggs.
2. Pour in 1/6th of the scrambled eggs into the skillet and leave under the broiler for 10 seconds. Remove from pan onto serving platter.
3. Add veggies.
4. Repeat, replacing step 3 with one of the other spreads as a layer between the eggs.

It's like a naked breakfast burrito tower.

Pair with Southwest Hash Browns:
Grate 4 large (clean) russet potatoes into a bowl of water.
Drain and Dry (as thoroughly as possible, some recommend a ricer)potatoes.
Toss with a blend of 3 parts paprika, 2 parts salt, 2 parts Cayenne, 1 part garlic powder, 1 part ground mustard, 1 part cumin, and/or any other spices that play nice.
Fry in a skillet of heated oil, turning halfway through.

Cut this Tex-Mex caliente with a tropical smoothie, sweet and refreshing.
In a blender combine:
6oz OJ
3oz Pineapple Juice
6oz Guava Juice
6oz Mango Juice
10oz Vanilla Yogurt
6oz frozen strawberries
6oz frozen peaches

(Originally I also had buttermilk biscuits with blueberry preserves, but looking back, I don't think, as a whole, they fit as well as I had assumed. I was just trying to do as much as possible to impress I guess)

This year, had I gotten my act together, I would've gone a little simpler.
In the spirit of the "local-vore" movement it would've been something like this.
I'd replace the honey with Maple Syrup. Also I'd put the apples in a baking dish, filled with an inch of apple cider. After they are removed from the oven, take the cider, reduce to half the volume and pour over the top. Serve with ice cream.

Yes, I realize this is now dessert. After I started on this apple dish I just couldn't help myself. Oops.

Realistically, I was thinking of trying for an italian inspired hash/quiche:
Potatoes, onions, peppers, and spices coarsely chopped and pan cooked (omitting the beef). Scrambled eggs poured in towards the end. I'd use tomato and basil for both flavor and color, and tie it all together with goat cheese.

Maybe one day I'll wake up early and surprise my roommates with this. Maybe one day I'll wake up early.

No comments: