Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A year of food -- 2010

As you may have heard, 2010 involved two resolutions: to take on more of the restaurants that NYC has to offer and to start actually making more recipes that I find. I have made a schedule of events, 1 new restaurant and 1 new dinner party per month, for the year.


Tentatively, the schedule looks as such (but are subject to change):

Restaurants
Ramen Shops (East Village) JAN 23
Seafood or Steakhouse FEB 20
Dumpling Houses (Chinatown) MAR 6
Greek (Astoria) APR 10
Sushi Ya (Chelsea) MAY 29
Pizza (maybe Sri Lankan) (Staten Island) JUN 12
Russian (maybe pizza) (Brighton Beach) JUL 10
Mexican/Latin (Bushwick) AUG 28
Soul Food (Harlem) SEP 4
BBQ (Dinosaur BBQ/Fette Sau) OCT 16
Korean BBQ/Hot Pot (K-Town) NOV 13
American Nouveau (Theater Dist) DEC 18

Dinner Parties
Brunch JAN 16
A relaxed affair with baked egg cups, monkey bread, and hash browns.
Craft Beer Night FEB 12
A party to celebrate the great American brewer. Guests are asked to bring a craft beer of their choice to share. Tapas to be determined.
Cook-Off MAR 20
Two chefs and two assistants prepare two different meals based on one theme ingredient -- to be determined -- which is revealed one week prior. I am hoping both Darrell and Josh participate in this event.
Around the world potluck APR 24
Food and drinks from around the world! Sign up for a country, bonus points if you come in costume!
'Mexi-Night' MAY 8
Officially planned as the third annual Cinco de Mayo inspired party -- count on everything from margaritas to s'macos. BYOS -- bring your own sombrero
Summertime BBQ picnic JUN 26
I believe East River park has picnic areas with grills available to the public. So come eat burgers and dogs, bring your bat and mitt and we'll play some home run derby.
Dessert Night JUL 24
"Life's too short, eat dessert first" dessert night will feature a full panel of sweets and quite possibly an attempt at recreating the childhood magic of the choco-taco.
Comfort Food AUG 14
Mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, biscuits and gravy; whatever you crave when all you want is a little security and nostalgia come share your memories and appetite.
Oriental Express SEP 18
Food the likes even Marco Polo never saw, the exotic cuisine of the far East.
Bad Pizza/Bad Movie Night OCT 2
A staple of high school weekends -- we'll all pile onto the couch and watch some bad movies with some bad pizza (and maybe awkwardly try and get to second base).
Seafood Night NOV 6
I don't have much to say except I've seen a few seafood recipes that I never bother to try.
Gingerbread house secret santa! DEC 11
My favorite event of the year just got a little better when I thought I would try and add gingerbread house building to the already amazing fun we have. I'm already excited guys, is it December yet?


Feedback and ideas are always welcome and I'll try and accommodate as best I can. Again, most parties I'd like to hold to 6 so RSVP sooner rather than later I suppose (I was surprised at the response for our upcoming first event).

No comments: