Thursday, August 13, 2009

Raaaaaaarrrrrrrr

So I forgot where I first heard about Dinosaur Bar B Que but it's been a point of interest for a while. Then Emily posted this article. And that was the straw that broke the camel's back. I had had enough. So I put into motion the plan for an outing. And my friends jumped on board.

Despite some severe 1 train troubles, we finally made it all the way up to Harlem on a Saturday night. And even though they wouldn't let me reserve a table, we were able to be put on the on time list. Thanks to Julia for being clever and taking the 2 right past all those pesky local stops.

But there is a reason this place was booked up for the night. The food is GOOD. Because I wanted to get a full range of flavor, I opted for the Brisket and Pork plate (I purposely saved the ribs because I owe someone a return trip)

The pork was sweet and tender, the taste of time and care. It had a rich smoke and a soft touch. The brisket, a normally tougher cut of meat, was also lovingly cared for, with extra time put in to bring out the best in the beef.

To accompany my big plate of animals, I chose the traditional potato (the Syracuse style salt potatoes) and the mac and cheese. The potatoes are bite size, fork tender morsels floating in a delicious butter pool. Nothing could be better. The mac and cheese had an admirable kick and sneaks up on you like a brick in your gut.

Finally, the cornbread was amazing. None too sweet, with a fine crumb. The only thing that made it better was to let it soak in the potatoes' pool.

What a fine meal.

2 comments:

Emily McAdams said...

That is a fantastic picture of us, and this was a fantastic meal.

Madelyn said...

Agreed, on all counts. funny, all those pictures were from my grad party!